Monday, February 7, 2011

Superstition

I really don't believe in superstitions. Although, when I was younger I did.
I remember walking home from school, (elementary school of course), avoiding EVERY crack on the sidewalk. You know, "Step on a crack, break your mothers back?"
That was a long walk too.

There was this one time I accidentally stepped on a crack--and I was SO HAPPY to see my mom when I got home because I felt so guilty. Ahhh...kids.

Long story short, I'm not that superstitious anymore. However I do have some beliefs I hold onto.

I was about 30 minutes late for work, and it wasn't because I was out partying the night before. Yes, I did sleep in--but only because every Friday I would close the place and then have to open the place back up 7 hours later.

This just happened to be the day that I had to work with, "Miss Sunshine" (sarcastically speaking). She was the hardest person to work with--pretty straight laced. I swear she could make a drill sergeant cry.
I just couldn't tell her I slept in. No, not her. She went to the "big boss" for everything. Yea...one of those kind of people.

I told her that I was late because I got pulled over. What could she say, right? Now that I think of it, she could've asked to see the ticket. Good thing she didn't.

About 2 days later, I was driving to work, and guess what happened? Yep...I got pulled over. And I NEVER get pulled over. Good thing she wasn't working that day, huh? I had to go to work and tell them I was late because I got pulled over (for real this time).

This was the first and the last time I will lie about why I'm late. I believe, deep down, that I jinxed myself.

As for the black cat crossing my path and opening an umbrella inside of the house, not for me. And on Friday the 13th, if I have stuff to do, I'm doing it. Not knockin' it. Again, just not for me.

There was actually another time when a white opal ring was given to me.

Well if you don't know, the superstition is if you wear white opal, and it is not your birthstone, (October), then it will crack in half and bring you bad luck.

And I'll be damned! It cracked in half--right down the middle.

I wasn't aware of this superstition until I told my mom what happened. I was showing it to her and she said, "Oh yea, those are supposed to be bad luck. They crack in half if you're wearing them and it's not your birthstone."

Gee, thanks mom. She was the one that gave it to me.

I don't remember if I ever did have a string of bad luck though; it was so long ago. Maybe I did and it was so traumatizing that it's all just a blur now, (ha-ha).

Do you have a superstitious story or belief? I'd love to hear about it.

Please, don't hesitate to tell me what's On Ur Mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment