Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentine's Day

I swear it wasn't but a few days after Christmas when I started seeing Valentine's Day displays everywhere. It seems like everywhere you go there are manifestations of singing musical cards, and red and pink hearts.

I know what you're thinking--"Oh, she sounds bitter about Valentine's Day." Not true.

When I got to really thinking about it, I realized that all I knew about Valentine's Day is that we are expected to buy presents, candy and dinner for that "special someone." And we are also expected to at least acknowledge the other special people in our lives as well. Right?

Either way, why do we wait until Valentine's Day to show these "special people" in our lives how much we love them? Because the retailers said so? Speaking from my standpoint, I think those of us who celebrate Valentine's Day, celebrate it because we feel like we have to.

And yes, I too am guilty of falling into the hype of it all. There is no way I would be without a present for my "special someone" on Valentine's Day. And I would feel pretty bad if I didn't at least give my mother a call, or send a card, or something. But...that's just me. I think something's better than nothing.

I don't think we should wait until February 14th to show your loved ones you care.

Personally speaking, it would mean a lot more to me if my "special someone" came home with roses "just because."

When you least expect it.

According to Wikipedia.org, Valentine’s Day is supposed to be celebrated between, "intimate companions." The website also says that Valentine's Day was "traditionally a day on which lovers express their love for each other."

Javer
Did you just read that? LOVERS.

So if this day was originally reserved for lovers, then why do children celebrate it in school? Why did you send a card to your uncle in Miami? Do you know why? Because you and me get all caught up into the hype of it all.

This is just critical thinking. Again, I'm not anti-Valentine's Day.

On a positive note, some of us just don't know how to express our love for one another the way we probably should. Not everyone in the world is capable of being thoughtful, and some of us need that one reserved day to show that special person, as well as our loved ones, how much we care and appreciate them.

Besides the retail madness, I think celebrating Valentine's Day is actually a good thing.

Yea, so what if it was technically reserved for "lovers." Who (besides me) is actually going to elaborate on that?

Teaching our children how to appreciate the people in their lives isn't a bad thing. And hey...that Valentine's Day card you sent to your lonely uncle in Miami--well I bet you made his day.

Even if you are one of those people that spread love just once a year, that's ok.
Like I said before, something’s better than nothing.

How do you feel about Valentine's Day? Do you love it, hate it, or are you sort of in the "gray area?"

Please don't hesitate to tell me what's On Ur Mind.






No comments:

Post a Comment